The Lineup
B.I.R. Column Of Fame
Man of Steel... Wood... and Mud: Bear Grylls
Rock Legend: Tom Morello

League Gods: The Emperor and Alfie

Str-8 Shoota: Malcolm X

Str-8 Shoota: Zack de la Rocha

Super Bad mofo's

Comrade Hillary

Monday, August 22, 2005

Who is a Maori anyway? 

Tonight's debate was pretty tiresome, I don't know whose idea it was to have the howling partisan mobs. Obnoxious and probably makes lots of people reach for the remote. There's now a documentary about a new monkey on TV3, "a cuddly ball of red and brown fur," a welcome relief.

Neither leader seemed at their best, but what struck me fairly early on was Don seeming to revive the "what's a real Maori?" debate, circa 1970, complete with "some of them are as white as me and you" and something to the effect of "a 7/8 Maori isn't the same thing as a 1/8 Maori." Sigh.

A Maori is someone with Maori heritage who identifies as Maori I would have thought ... the fact that this may lead to separate political entitlements is a different matter (and one worth debating). But frankly, I don't care to divide myself up into eighths. Maybe I'm wrong, the question of "who is a Pakeha anyway?" is interesting, but unlikely to lead to dividing people into portions or grading their skin colour.

Comments:
I wonder, if those who recognise Maori by the colour of the skin, are related to those who asked Maori about their right to be in New Zealand back in the 1970's. Maybe Polynesians can try and form an iwi, for those who might be mistaken for Maori. Then claim rights under the Treaty.
 
I'm working on my tan right now. But proving my iwi existed is probably going to be the hard part.
 
Glad I'm not the only one aghast at that one.
 
aghast at what?
 

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The New
Blogging it Real supports the following sporting organisations