The Lineup
B.I.R. Column Of Fame
Man of Steel... Wood... and Mud: Bear Grylls
Rock Legend: Tom Morello

League Gods: The Emperor and Alfie

Str-8 Shoota: Malcolm X

Str-8 Shoota: Zack de la Rocha

Super Bad mofo's

Comrade Hillary

Thursday, March 11, 2004

You know what they say, "big nose, big (I can't say it can I?!)" 

So this afternoon I'm just starting a new class (with a mere 45 students in it) and one of the Korean boys (they're all Korean since I'm in Korea) starts telling me I have a big nose (like I haven't noticed).

Has anybody ever used three sets of brackets in one sentence before. Should I have included that sentence in the first sentence in brackets?

Anyway, at the end of the class the Korean co teacher said a couple of the girls (they were all aged 8-13 I might add) were asking me if I had had a nose operation. At first I was a bit bemused as I thought they were wondering if I had had it enlarged to this size (it's really not that big). But then I realised they were wondering if I had got it bridged more in the middle as it is fashionable in Korean cosmetic surgery fields to make noses look more European.

It is also common for females to get an operation on their eyes which removes part of the eye lid so they have larger looking eyes (and again look more European). When I say common I mean massively common. Both of my girlfriend's older sisters have have had it done and my girlfriend often wishes she could do hers as well (well she's damn well not going to). One of the reasons for surgery being so big here is that it is extremely cheap. A couple of thousand dollars max to do your eyes.

The obsession with beauty is leading to so many stories like this though.

More of the same and more again.

That's actually the first time since a Korean taxi driver became fascinated in my nose a few years ago. I spent a while trying to tell him his eyes were narrow before my girlfriend shut me up. Hey, he was probably a good christian man so he would understand "an eye for a nose"! Besides he didn't get it anyway.

Cosmetic surgery will probably pop up (like my nose) here again so stay tuned.

yours big nosedly
nzs
bloggingitreal@yahoo.com

PS Here's something on the state of Korean music.

Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The New
Blogging it Real supports the following sporting organisations