The Lineup
B.I.R. Column Of Fame
Man of Steel... Wood... and Mud: Bear Grylls
Rock Legend: Tom Morello

League Gods: The Emperor and Alfie

Str-8 Shoota: Malcolm X

Str-8 Shoota: Zack de la Rocha

Super Bad mofo's

Comrade Hillary

Monday, December 19, 2005

Got a warrant? 

My three pieces of essential advice for young men are:

1/ The stripper doesn't like you
2/ Always demand a paternity test
3/ Don't allow a search without a warrant

The last of these seems particularly relevant in Sydney, what with police boarding buses to read text messages. Why not open people's mail and demand the password to their email while you're at it? Now assuming that a warrant is still required for such searches (the article linked to doesn't say either way) I'd suggest acting on #3 above and telling the police to fuck off. Or alternatively saying "I haven't got a mobile phone" ... which might lead to a body search of some sort, which is surely legally dubious. In my case I'm probably one of the 5% of people my age not to own one of the bloody things, so it would be true, but hey I doubt that would stop the search.

I suspect things are about to get real quiet around here ... where'd everyone go?

Comments:
I'm here,

got soooo much crap on my plate in the nest two months I'm doing my head in thinking about it.

And I too do not have a mobile phone and have no intention of buying one unless it becomes vital.
 
" ... which might lead to a body search of some sort, which is surely legally dubious."

No, it is not legally dubious.

NSW enacted new legislation after the riots started.

S87K provides power to the police to search persons without a warrant if the person is in a certain area. S87M then allows the police to seize the mobile phone as well.

-Dinkas
 
Thanks Dinkas, I heard the police were granted some extraordinary powers but had no idea it extended that far. I still wonder what they do if you say "I haven't got a cellphone" though.
 

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The New
Blogging it Real supports the following sporting organisations