The Lineup
B.I.R. Column Of Fame
Man of Steel... Wood... and Mud: Bear Grylls
Rock Legend: Tom Morello

League Gods: The Emperor and Alfie

Str-8 Shoota: Malcolm X

Str-8 Shoota: Zack de la Rocha

Super Bad mofo's

Comrade Hillary

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Oh the rapture 

"Rapture" isn't a word you hear too often in NZ politics, but the other day Peter Dunne told a local radio station that audiences around the country gave him "rapturous" receptions, and now the bloody exclusive brethren are in on the political act, presumably because a rightwing government will bring forward the date of the rapture (or is that move it back, the media doesn't seem to know).

Helen Clark spoke to an over-capacity crowd at Otago Uni yesterday (I had to stand on tip-toes and lean my head to one side to get so much as a glimpse), although I did see a deshevelled woman and her crappy sign to the effect that "speed kills" - amongst all the balloons and Green and Labour party workers, and I couldn't actually figure out at the time what the hell she was on about. Let's just say that it was rather obtuse in that context. God it's amazing what can pass for an assault in this country through ... I say let's get John Prescott over here to really bring back the biff. (I wonder if Peters' will be spoken to by Police after he was involved in a minor shoving match with a student a week or so back?) It's also amazing that such minor incidents pass as news, come to think of it.

Finally, a thoughtful post from Che Tibby today.

Comments:
Generally, the mere touching of another wihout their consent constitutes assault (it has historically been called battery as assault is the fear of a threat that someone will committ battery).

I remember one (English ?) case we looked at where someone spat at a police officer and the spit hit the back of the police officer's shirt and he wasn't aware he had been spat at. It was still assault.

-Dinkas
 
Thanks for the link. I guess this means I'll have to get off my chuff at write some more stuff.

On topic I have to say there hasn't been enough biff this time round. 6 years ago we had Bradford playacting with uni' students, and 3 years ago we had Brownlee biffing hecklers down stairs.

I want to see some head butts!
 
I prefer to touch my students with my heart.

But sometimes I do accidentally spit on people when talking and occasionally I fall over their bloody bags in the aisle.

On another note, how about those fuckit christian freak businessmen that don't wacth tv, don't use the internet and yet seem to know an awful lot about politics?!

Seems like a bunch of wusses who probably meet once a month in an abondoned warehouse, don the fullbody gregorian robes and mutilate local wildlife.
 
Yamis:

If you touch a student on the head there would be implied consent, just like when you tap someone on the shoulder on the street to get their attention or accidently touch someone when walking past them.

If you accidentlly spit on someone your act could possibly be involuntary which would mean you have not even committed the physical element of the offence, but would certainly mean you lack the fault element of the crime - ie you were no intending to spit on someone. Either way, no assault. The spitting case I mentioned above involved someone who the court deemed was intending to spit at the police officer so there was intention.

On the exclusive brethren, I have a great aunt and great uncle in the exclusive brethren. My grandmother got her in her 20s, lucky for her. She hasn't talked to her brother or sister since leaving - in fact they are forbidden from talking to her.

It is somewhat ironic they support National since Nick Smith attacked them in the early 1990s see here.If my memory serves me, they sued him for defamation as well.

I would have thought they would have supported United Future given Don Brash wouldn't be in their good books for voting to decriminalise prostitution.

-Dinkas
 
Dinkas, do you take everything seriously?

On the bretheren of which dc_red is a member (there, I've outed him!) didn't Brash also support civil unions or was it just the prostitution?

They are full of shit and may wind up doing more damage to their cause than good.
 

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The New
Blogging it Real supports the following sporting organisations