The Lineup
B.I.R. Column Of Fame
Man of Steel... Wood... and Mud: Bear Grylls
Rock Legend: Tom Morello

League Gods: The Emperor and Alfie

Str-8 Shoota: Malcolm X

Str-8 Shoota: Zack de la Rocha

Super Bad mofo's

Comrade Hillary

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

TV Violence Part II 

It seems to be popular to discuss the level of violence on television and its relationship to violence in society these days and last week and the week before and ...well all the bloody time really.

In Korea there isn't much of a problem with violence amongst children although as I said in my earlier post, there is a link and the amount of violence certainly isn't decreasing.

All my kids want wrestling names when I offer to give them an English name but the actual demonstrations of wrestling are pretty piss poor and I'd endeavour to say that your average primary aged Kiwi kid would get a three count or a tap out against one of my kids in 20-30 seconds.

Although today there were three boys trying a few moves including an impressive figure four leg lock on each other. When I used to wrestle on the trampoline it was my move of choice. I stepped in and tried to break it up by performing a DDT but the little bugger sucker punched me with a low blow. Fortunately it wasn't at full power and I lived to wrestle another day.

Wrestling is on here on two channels at least once everyday bar none I should point out. I realised wrestling was fake when I was about 12 I suppose. It helped when your father sits there with you and points out it's all bollocks but contrary to his opinion I KNEW ALREADY YA STUPID PLONKER!!!

They also get all the violent cartoons from the US and Japan that NZ kids get. And to be honest there is a bit of copycat type stuff from the kids but it's a bit hard to do a good impersonation of a robot shooting lazer beams from your extending arm and cause too much damage.

I would say that Hollywood movies and domestic violence are the real culprits. Step back and look at the specific type of violence that we see and it's always kids whacking each other with their fists to either faces or upper bodies. I can't recall many cartoons where the characters walk around punching each other in the head. Can you? Maybe I'm a bit off the pace.

Anyway, I'm going to carry on watching the second half of the Warriors game online here. God Manly suck. I used to support them in the late 80s and early 90s before the Warriors joined the comp. Back when Lowie was coaching them and had the Iro brothers, Ridgey, Innes and Williams flying the Kiwi flag.

Manly RIP.

Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The New
Blogging it Real supports the following sporting organisations